Ballinspittle Comhltas branch was established on 25th March 2002 when J.J. Hayes invited Barry Cogan and the Cork County Board officers to Ballinspittle to help set up a Comhaltas Group in the area. The County Board attended the first A.G.M later in the year as they were unable to attend on the night. There were 21 people at the inaugural meeting. The first committee was elected. These included Chairperson- Sean Collins, Vice Chairperson- Maurice Costello, Secretary-Ann McCarthy and Treasurer- J.J. Hayes, PRO- Noreen Quinn, Youth Officer-Nuala O’Reilly, Irish Officer- Kevin McCarthy.
Within the first year tinwhistle classes were organised and taught by Irene Buckley and later Anne Eaton, Noreen Kelleher had commenced Accordian classes, Gearoid O’Leary was teaching the Bodhran, Fiddle and Guitar and Fionan Cogan had started Ceili Dance classe. Classes catered for both adults and children. Accordians were hired by the Comhlatas Group and leased to students. The accordions were returned at the end of the year and there was also an option to purchase the accordions.
Our branch now has members from Riverstick, Kinsale, Belgooly, Goggins Hill, Innishannon, Ballinadee, Ballinspittle and Kilbrittain. We currently have 80 musicians comprising of ages from 7- 20. We are a very active group in promoting music and have groups who have achieved County, Munster and all Ireland levels. In 2016 we are very proud of our all Ireland winners, trio Diarmuid Ward, Sean Ahern and Fergus Walsh who came first in the U12 Trio competition and Triona Nyhan who came second in the 15-18 Slow Air Solo Harp Competition. Our senior group of twenty members also participated in the All-Ireand Fleadh.
Ballinspittle Comhaltas is celebrating its 15th Year Anniversary in 2017 so we are delighted to host Fleadh Cheoil Chorcai 2017.
The newly extended Kinsale Community School located in the wonderful town of Kinsale is an ideal venue to make this a weekend to remember.
We look forward to hosting this year’s Fleadh in Kinsale and hope it will encourage more musicians to join our group in the future and promote positive mental health in our branch and the surrounding area.
We would like to thank our main sponsor ABP Food Group Bandon for their generous support of Fleadh Cheoil Chorcai 2017
Current Events of CCE Ballinspittle Group
• Bodhran Lessons Commencing on 14th January 2017
• Instrument Workshop on Thursday 23rd February 2017
• St. Patricks Day Concert on 17th March 2017
• Music classes for children – in various instruments
• Participation in Cork Fleadh each year
• Participation in the Vintage Harvest Festival and other festivals in the community
• Organise fundraising for Trad for Trocaire
• Annual St. Patricks Day Concert
• Musical sessions on the streets of Kinsale during the summer
• Musical sessions in local hospitals for the elderly
• Musical entertainment at local Farmers Markets and shopping centres
• Annual Flag Day accompanied by traditional music on Patrick St. Cork City
• Traditional concerts and open traditional sessions
• Participation in a culture night in Kinsale
Branch Officers 2016/17
Chairperson: Mary O'Sullivan
Secretary: Mary Collins
Assistant Secretary: Linda Collins
Treasurer: Ann Aherne
PRO: Rebecca O'Donovan & Helen McCarthy
Youth Officer: Caron O'Reilly
Treoraí na Gaeilge: Angela O’Reilly
Child Protection Officer: Dolores Galvin
County Board Delegate: Mary Kingston